Three extremely hotly-contested finals were held at Exeter College on Tuesday 24th October, when the finalists in the Professional, Young Professional and Student/Apprentice categories met to compete for the title, just a few weeks after the Home Cook and Junior Chef finals took place.
This year’s competition has been truly exceptional in all five categories and we are delighted to announce the winners for 2023.
We would like to thank our prestigious panel of judges on the day, Michael Caines, Chris Cleghorn, Richard Davies, Peter Gorton, Neil Haydock, Hywel Jones, Tim Kendall, Matt Mason, Nathan Outlaw, Scott Paton, Seth Ward, Ian Webber and Elly Wentworth.
And many thanks to the staff and students at Exeter College for hosting and supporting the semi-finals
Thank you very much to all of our generous sponsors (also outlined below) for enabling us to stage the competition.
Full report and photographs from the finals to follow soon!
The Winners 2023….
Overall South West Chef of the Year 2023
Head Chef, Lucknam Park, Bath
South West Professional Chef of the Year:
Sponsored by Ritter Courivaud
Andrew Jenkinson, Head Chef, Lucknam Park, Bath
The other Professional Chef finalists:
- Simon Davies, Head Chef, The Rising Sun, Altarnun, Cornwall
- Ben Godiff, Sous Chef, Àclèaf, Boringdon Hall Hotel, Plympton, Devon
- Wyn Jones, Sous Chef, Calcot & Spa, Tetbury, Gloucestershire
South West Young Professional Chef of the Year:
Sponsored by Essential Cuisine
Lewis Nicholas, Junior Sous Chef, Lympstone Manor, Lympstone, Devon
The other Young Professional Chef finalists:
- Luke Bryant, Chef de Partie, Clockspire Restaurant, Milborne Port, Sherborne, Dorset
- Harrison Miller, Blundells School, Tiverton, Devon
- Shangen Yen, Commis Chef, Lucknam Park, Bath
South West Student/Apprentice Chef of the Year:
Sponsored by Nisbets
Jayden Watson, Plymouth High School and Lympstone Manor, Exmouth, Devon
The other Student/Apprentice Chef finalists:
- Becky Birchall, City College Plymouth and Fletcher’s Restaurant, Plymouth, Devon
- Perran Clark, Petroc College and New Coast Kitchen, Croyde, Devon
- Lottie Gentile, Truro & Penwith College and The Idle Rocks, St Mawes, Cornwall
- Ben Greenhalf, Exeter College and Gather, Totnes, Devon
South West Home Cook of the Year:
Tareq Assaf, Bath
The other Home Cook finalists:
- Lucinda Ellicott, Paignton, Devon
- Aneta Staciwa, Redruth, Cornwall
Freya, Penrice Academy, St Austell, Cornwall
The other Junior Chef finalists:
- Akshatha, South Wilts Grammar School, Salisbury, Wiltshire
- Catherine, Katharine Lady Berkeley’s School, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire
- Elijah, St Peter’s School, Bournemouth, Dorset
- Jessica, Torquay Girls’ Grammar School, Torquay, Devon
- Theo, Westfield Academy, Yeovil, Somerset
- William, Hayle Academy, Hayle, Cornwall